Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2017

How to Build Your Dream Wardrobe


Hey lovelies! Today we are going to cover some wardrobe basics. 

Have you always wanted to dress like your favourite influencer? It honestly is a lot simpler then you might think. 

The first step is to be confident in your own skin, your body and your individuality. This means that you have to keep in mind that it is not the clothes or the designer bags that make who you are, rather the overall confidence that you exude and the ability to wear whatever you feel good in.

When I was a teenager I had a really awkward phase and of course I experimented with black nail polish, foundation too light for my skin tone and over plucking my eyebrows. I was fascinated with fashion and beauty, but I had no idea where to begin; hence, the awkward teenage photos I have buried deep within my computer’s hard drive.

Here are my must have wardrobe staples and the go to pieces I continue to reach for when I do not have anything to wear. Hopefully, they will provide a helpful guide and a starting place for building your dream wardrobe.
1. Layering with Coats and Jackets Every season I like to spice up my wardrobe with a few new jackets. I currently have way too many, but I just feel like they are the basis of my style. Adding a jacket on top of a cami, romper or dress adds so much character to an outfit. A jacket’s versatility enables you to pair them with multiple items to create multiple outfits. That is a win win in my book! Jackets and layer are great place to start. I say you can never have enough jackets, even if your closet disagrees! My go to staples when it comes to jackets would be a black blazer, a black leather jacket and a trench coat.
2. Structured Black Bag - As a handbag enthusiast, I’ve had my fair share of handbags and thought I’d share my thoughts and experiences. When I pick out a handbag, I always opt for black because it simply goes with everything. My first designer bag was my black Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC with gold hardware and I chose it because of its versatility and practicality. Nowadays I’m a little more adventurous with colour, but I still see myself reaching for my black structured handbags the most. My ZAC Zac Posen Eartha Bag with gold hardware has gotten a ton of use because of its functionality and size. It's the kind of bag where I can throw everything in it and have it make my outfit super glamorous. I also get a ton of wear out of my Henri Bendal Uptown Mini Satchel for the same reasons. I like having both of them in my collection because although they are both similar in size and functionality, the differences are in hardware. The uptown satchel has silver hardware, which gives more of an edge to an outfit, whilst gold hardware is more luxurious. 
3. Comfy Booties and Comfy Flats - I feel like every girl needs a pair of cute booties for fall and winter and a pair of low-midi heels for summer. I live in booties in the colder months and my go to place to find them is at Zara. For the price and style you get, its my main stop. I've been living in laced up flats for the last two summers and I found and this treasure this summer. I say comfort is key, but I also want something stylish to go with my comfort. You can never go wrong with pairing an outfit with black booties or black flats. 
4. Skinny Jeans - We all need the perfect pair of jeans in our wardrobe. For me, I gravitate more towards black jeans during the winter and lighter denim in the spring and summer. 
5. White Blouse - This summer I have been living in white blouses and I've been sticking up from the summer sales! Everyone needs a go-to white or off-white blouse in their wardrobe. I pair them with skirts, blazers, jackets, everything. With the amount of jackets I have, I can make plenty of outfits with a pair of black denim, and a white blouse. 
6. Black Cami or Black Sweater - These are basics for layering under your coats and blazers. I live in black sweaters in the fall and winter, especially black turtlenecks. They are perfect for layering under a wool coat or on their own. I love black camps for the summer, paired with skirts and a denim jacket. 
7. Red Lipstick - If you do not have one already, stop and get one now. (Maybe after reading this post) For days where I feel like wearing all black (which is most of the time), I throw on a red lip and I look super chic and polished. For days you don't want to wear makeup, but I don't want to look hideous (HA!) I throw on a red lip to distract everyone from my no-makeup appearance. When I want a pop of colour to my outfit, I also throw on a red or bold coloured lip. 
These are basics you can reach for when you do not know what to wear or when you are in a hurry. They are staples because they are versatile pieces that will go with new pieces and new trends. With these basics in hand, the next step is to get inspired and look for items and trends that appeal to you. Everyone is different and everyone will gravitate to different cuts that flatter them and different details. When I buy something, I think about how it would go with other things in my wardrobe and if I will get the wear out of it.

Thanks for being on this journey with me and growing my style with me.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...